Our Family

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Letter to the Editor

Last night after I finished my English Literature class, I casually picked up a copy of The Arbiter, BSU's newspaper. Today as I was browsing through the articles (editing everything of course), I came across a letter to the editor that ridiculed the Church for involvement in Proposition 8. It really was a pretty poorly written piece in my opinion (I'm not biased at all right?), but I felt a compulsion to step to the line and refute the trash. Fighting evil isn't for someone else, it's for me! So I sat down at my trusty computer and hammered out a letter of my own. I logged onto my Bronco Web account and sent it off to the Arbiter. Maybe I should have also told them that there were a LOT of punctuation errors, one spelling error, and wow, countless editing errors in their paper. Maybe, when I have enough senority, my name will be in the byline and there won't be so many mistakes! ANYWAY>>>I digress!

Reading in the Book of Mormon, I see countless examples of good people fighting evil with ceaseless endurance. Furthermore, I am reminded of Chapter 3 in "Standing for Something," by Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley. There is one line in particular which stands out in my mind: "The challenge to recognize evil and oppose it is one that every moral, virtuous, person must accept." I commit to opposing evil every day. It is everywhere, and I will draw the line and stand firm in sustaining and defending the kingdom of God. Who's on the Lord's side who? I am.


Here is a copy of my little letter. It could only be 300 words (!!!! ACK!) otherwise it would have cited more examples and I would have said a lot more.




Yes, Thank the Mormons!! Responding to James Rodriguez (Dec 1), yes, let's thank the Mormons! Preceding the election, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints demonstrated courage and strength as they stood, tall and unyielding, for the truths they believed in. As a result, they endured severe persecution, hatred, and defacing of holy temples and churches. Daily, LDS people utilize programs in the Church to benefit local, national, and international needs. While many blasted the Church for the stand on traditional marriage, those same "blasters" willingly stood in line to receive hygiene kits, fresh water, and supplies after fires destroyed homes in California. These necessities were provided freely by members of the LDS Church. Additionally, following the ravages of Hurricane Katrina, the LDS Church was among the very first to bring desperately needed relief. These examples are just two of countless deeds voluntarily executed by members of the LDS Church to ease the suffering of humanity. How is that a bad thing? Just as LDS members are NOT the only ones supporting traditional marriage, they aren't the only ones providing relief and charitable acts of service, either. Maybe, if we all opened up our eyes and started looking for those who are suffering and truly in need, we'd find that there is hunger, disease, heartache, and sorrow flourishing in abundance all around us. Why waste energy in riots, destruction, and persecution when so many are perishing with pain? The opportunities for giving love and service are everywhere! The sorrow that so many feel because they lack the basic necessities of life is staggering! Giving relief to an aching soul brings peace and contentment to the giver and receiver. Perhaps the test of this life isn't, "What can I get?!" but, "What can I give?"

2 comments:

Hi! I'm Jeni (Jen, Jennifer, or Mom) said...

Great Job! I applaud you Liz.

Andy, Mary, Nate, Lizzie said...

Bravo! Well done!Have I told you lately how proud I am to be your sister?