

Peering out my window this morning, I saw a soft, white fog resting in the air. Quickly donning my winter gear and hoping for above-freezing temperatures, I stepped out into the clouds. As I moved forward through the quiet mist, I began to think upon spiritual matters. For instance, the fog softens and mutes the sounds of traffic and barking dogs, much like the Holy Spirit quiets the clamoring eruptions of the world. Furthermore, it curves and curls around the earth blurring the rough edges, much like an artist's magic putty. Walking quickly to stay warm, my little pug dog and I soon began to breathe heavily. I felt as if the clouds and I were breathing in opposition to each other; inhaling filled my lungs with the clouds' exhale and vice versa. They and I, existing together, are both God's creations. Further down the road, I discovered some trumpet vines with fog dripping from their naked, outstretched tendrils, and a patch of fountain grass bent meekly under the weight of frosty crystals. I began to think of all the plants and animals that must weather through the season of cold and bitter weather, and then my thoughts turned to my life, and your life, and the lives of all mankind. Truly, we are called on to weather raw and icy seasons of our lives, aren't we? Where do we turn for peace and warmth in those dark and dreary times? A scripture from The Book of Mormon came to my mind as I pondered this question. It is in 2 Nephi 25:26 and it says, "And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins." Just as sunshine is the source of light and heat, Jesus Christ is our source to whom we may turn, if we will, in those sorrowful seasons. May peace from heaven wrap itself around us just as the tranquil fog rested upon the valley today.







2 comments:
Your post reminded me of some of Henry David Thoreau's writings. You're very good!
Thanks for sharing liz - love reading what you write, love the pictures too. You have a calming soul... my soul needs that!!! :)
Post a Comment