Our Family

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Dreams With Depth

A couple of nights ago, I had a bizarre dream. I lived in a different house: it was an old historic house that Wayne and I were restoring. It had amazing wood floors that echoed a deep Thunk! when I walked on them. In this dream, I owned a snake; a King Cobra to be exact. (I know, how creepy is that?) This snake was old and a pretty beat up. When it was in its cage it just flopped into a ball and never moved or struck out at anything. One day, the house was quiet and I was there alone. I got to looking at that old, pathetic snake and felt a little sorry for the creature. I decided to let it out of its cage. (I know, you are all screaming, "AHHHH DON'T LET IT OUT!!!" Remember, this is a dream where I couldn't control my actions, okay?) I dumped Mr. Cobra out on the gorgeous hardwood floor, and he just curled up into a harmless little "S" curve and did nothing. I was busy refinishing something and didn't really pay Mr. Cobra much mind. He continued to lay on the floor doing absolutely nothing. I left the room for one second to get some supplies and when I got back, Mr. Cobra was gone. Just like that! I started to panic, "HOLY COW! There is a SNAKE loose in my HOUSE...a KING COBRA!!" No one else was home, remember, but I have 6 pets that I absolutely adore, all of whom would make a tasty meal for a big ugly snake! I started running through the house desperately looking for the filthy creep and praying that he hadn't eaten my husband's Chihuahua, my pug, or the cats.... (I wasn't too worried about Smokey; good luck eating a 75-pound labrador...) Finally, in an upstairs bedroom, I found Mr. Cobra. He was reared up in all his youthful glory, hood fully expanded, looking a WHOLE lot different than the old, sick, pathetic, "S" I had left on the floor only moments before. The focus of his beady eyes was one of my cats, Fizzy. She was crouched under a low table hissing and spitting to beat the band, but she was going to be dinner for Mr. Cobra! I was SO mad that this dirty bum DARED to try and make my kitty his dinner, and I reached out in a flash and grabbed the slimeball around the neck (do snakes have a neck?) and choked it to death.

Upon awakening from this disturbing dream, at first I laughed to myself and thought,"Wow, I must be wacko for dreaming about snakes!" Then, I started to think. Now, most things to me become a spiritual experience because I really look for God's hand in my life. I became aware, almost as slowly as the sun rises, what the meaning of this dream really was for me. How does Satan work? Oh yes, he is a snake for sure, I know he is, but he disguises himself or makes himself appear "harmless" or "pathetic" just like Mr. Cobra did in this dream. Additionally, if I turn my back for even just one second, his true nature will suddenly reveal itself and I will be in immediate peril. Just like in my dream, I need to search out where he may be hiding in my life, whether it be through media influence, complacency in prayer, the "all is well in Zion" syndrome, or any other matter of blindness. Finally, once I discover his influence, I need to recognize my own power to crush it and kill it and rid myself of it.

And maybe I should install wood floors, wow those were sure nice!

2 comments:

Hi! I'm Jeni (Jen, Jennifer, or Mom) said...

What an interesting dream! I love it when I learn things from my dreams and I loved reading yours. I never remember my dreams that well let alone am able to explain them to anyone else.

Candice said...

That is so great! I have goose bumps! Thank you for story time and lesson time all wrapped up in one.