Our Family

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Loving Leaders

Sister Neal (from church) called me last night and asked me to talk for a couple of minutes during her lesson about a leader that I have loved and why. The first person that came into my mind was my father and the second was my mother. I have had many other leaders who have deeply affected my life: YW leaders, bishops, RS presidents to name a few. However, by far the most influential leaders in my life were my father and mother.

Although I have countless examples as to why my father is an incredible leader in my life (I could fill up volumes if I wrote them all down), one particular example comes to my mind. My Dad was the bishop of our ward throughout all of my teenage years. Living in a very small, predominantly LDS town, I rebelled a little bit and started going with a guy who walked a touch on the wild side. My parents were surprised and a little befuddled because I hadn’t ever done anything like that before. During this time, we attended a Young Women in Excellance night where I received some kind of advancement award. On the back of the piece of paper was a place for the YW president and the bishop to write a little comment. My Dad expressed his love to me and then he wrote, “It only takes one fly to spoil a pot of soup. It only takes one folly to ruin a reputation.” Now: he and my mom could have had a FIT over this guy. They could have grounded me for life and demanded that I never see him again. Instead, they trusted me and trusted that I would make the right decision. I believe that my Dad, also being my bishop, was able to receive clear and distinct inspiration for me, and he acted on that inspiration.

My mother was an incredible leader in my life because she taught me how to care about other people. My earliest memories of my mother are of accompanying her while she faithfully went visiting teaching. She also baked fabulous, amazing, homemade bread. She was the first one at sisters’ houses when they had babies, were sick, or just needed a boost with a fresh, hot loaf of that miraculous bread. She did it because she really cared. There was never a calling she turned down, never a needy soul she turned away, and never a single moment of her life when she wasn’t building up the kingdom of God. She was a phenomenal example of “Charity never faileth.”

They followed the Savior every moment of their lives by feeding His sheep and teaching me to do the same. They knew me, loved me, trusted me, and showed me how to live a Christlike life by living one themselves.

And they still do!!

1 comment:

Andy, Mary, Nate, Lizzie said...

*sniff, sniff* Waaaaah! I miss Mommy and Daddy!