Our Family

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Sweet Summer

The honeysuckle and peony smell like pure heaven. My syringa just popped into bloom yesterday and I spent no less than 15 minutes with my nose buried in blossoms yesterday. My first thought when I saw the syringa blossoms was, "My mother would love it!" and my second thought was, "I wish I could gather an armful and put them on my Grandmas' graves. They would all love it!" Unfortunately, 2 of the graves are in Eastern Idaho and 1 is in Montana. (yes, many Grandmas for me thanks to adoption).

We had to spray herbicide on our property for the first time ever. The poison hemlock was out of control this year, and the city slapped us down a cranky letter from the "Noxious Weed Department." Mmmmm, tax dollars hard at work.... I could hardly even go outside while Wayne was spraying, I am so sensitive to the poison. Hopefully the noxious weed will be eradicated without further ado, but I doubt it.

I put my squash plants in extra-large pots this year and they are going crazy! I am so pleased with the result I think I will put a butternut squash plant in another large planter. They seem to thrive! Who knew!! As an added bonus, if I end up needing to spray for squash bugs, then I can keep the pesticide to an absolute minimum. I usually pick off and kill nasty bugs, but squash bugs are so hard to squish and they are SO prolific! Even all of my lovely preying mantis can't keep up with the tremendous hordes. YUCK! Hahaa, squash bugs are hard to squash!!

Speaking of preying mantis, we are seeing our babies hatching from their foamy nests! We have probably 20 little nests here and there around our property, and the babies are SO cute! They must be all of a centimeter long, but they still rear their heads and they mean BUSINESS! hahaha, it is SO cute!

We have 2 garter snakes in residence as well. All of the neighbors had a good laugh last week when I pulled up a tarp and WOO! both little snakies popped out for a visit. I couldn't help myself, I screamed and screamed as I ran around the yard. HAHAHA!! MAN! They are definitely beneficial and welcome in my yard, but hoo-diggety-dog they scared the pee-doodles outta me.

My mother is enduring two months of radiation and chemo to treat the cancer that returned to her throat. I expect she will need all of your prayers. For those of you who attend the temple (LDS Temples) will you please remember to put her name on the prayer roll every time you go? She really needs support and love. Thank you.

No comments: